When the weather outside is frightful—I tend to hide under hats. Thankfully, I love them. Help save this craft and local manufacturing by supporting my dear friend (and hat designer) Satya Twena’s Kickstarter.
I’m a sucker for my beauty inspiration boards — here’s a few pictures of my favorite summer beauty looks. Splash of bronzer with a pop of color on the lips.
Current fave lip colors:
- Vegas Volt by MAC Cosmetics
- Morange by MAC Cosmetics
- #41 by Makeup Forever
- #36 by Makeup Forever
- Heatwave by NARS (one of my classic faves!)
Can’t get enough of beauty tutorials? Neither can we. The lovely Jamie Beck and I decided that sometimes a girl just wants a strong lip — and who are we to deny her of that? Check out my how-to using MAKE cosmetics on Jamie’s site.
Dress by Isabel Lu.
At last…Spring. Warmer temperatures bring out shorter hemlines revealing our wintery pale skin. Here are a few of my favorite products and tips to carry you into summer.Self-Tanners:
PRO TIP: Don’t forget to exfoliate! Use rubber gloves to apply to avoid that weird dark palm syndrome you see on some ladies.
- If you are super pale, I’ve found that Clairins Instant Self Tanning Gel works best. The more pale your skin, the harder it is to get a non-streaky, natural look which is why I like this product — it’s gel texture allows for an easy application, goes on smooth, and isn’t too dark.
- If you naturally have a little olive/yellow in your skin tone or feel like you’re a veteran self-tanner, my favorite is St. Tropez Mousse Bronzer. It has more color to it than Clarin’s Gel but still goes on smooth and streak-free (if you know what you’re doing). The foam liquifies as soon it it hits the skin and the faster you rub this product in the better.
- Even though the other two can double as face products, I like using Lancome Face Flash Bronzer since it has SPF 15—it’s perfect to rub on your face before hitting the beach or lounging poolside. Also, I love the immediate glow this product gives.
- I like a lot of different powder bronzers but more recently have been using one by NARS. Make sure to not go too much darker than your skin-tone and only apply where the sun would hit you naturally (cheeks, bridge of nose, forehead, chin). Don’t forget to add a dash of pink blush for dimension.
Very excited to try my new reparative hair products!! Thanks, Frederic Fekkai!
Fun day with the very talented photographer Jamie Beck. Want to learn how to get this springy, romantic look at home? Check out her Ann Street Studio site to see my step-by-step tutorial using MAKE cosmetics.
Clothes by Isabel Lu.
The original Jurassic Park is being released next week in 3D — yes, that’s right, 3 mutha effin’ D. Of course my natural response is to wonder what I’m going to wear to such a wondrous event.
Have no fear, I found what I was looking for.
When the season changes, so does my makeup bag. Therefore, I’m blaming the weather for these purchases. The sun was shining on my face on my walk to Sephora so by the time I was at the register with my routine supplies I noticed all of these randoms in my basket. Oops.
- Teddy Girl by butter™ LONDON (Light Pink)
- Trout Pout by butter™ LONDON (Pink / Coral)
- Riveria by Dior (Bright Coral)
- Niagara lip color by NARS (Pink / Coral)
I just bought myself a one way ticket on the pink and coral train—next stop, SPRING! (choo, choo!)
I’m loving the Melissa x Karl Lagerfeld collection — not all of them are my jam but these pointy toe Mary Jane’s sure are.
I’m heading south for some beautiful weather to celebrate a friend’s upcoming nuptials. Sunny skies deserve a fun sunny lip color. Taking one of my favorites by MAC cosmetics — Vegas Volt.
Who needs Vegas when you have Miami?
If you’re looking for a serum to protect your hair from damage, I’ve found Alterna Anti-aging Overnight Rescue to be a total hair saver. I’ve already mentioned which shampoo & conditioner I’ve been loving lately but have been using this product at night to save my ends. Like the other hair products I use, I love this because it never weighs my hair down or leaves residue. Hey, every girl needs a little help from time to time…
You can find this product at any Sephora or you can be lazy, like me, and order online.
This springy weather has me in the mood to shop. First up, bags. I organized my handbags the other day and realized I havent purchased a new one in a long time. Unacceptable. Just kidding…but seriously, I think this is mainly because I tend to purchase classic styles and colors. I’m looking to break my mold—looking for fun colors and textures this spring. So far, the top brands I’ve been admiring are Lizzie Fortunato, 10 Crosby Derek Lam, Loeffler Randall, Steven Alan, Moyna, and Foley + Corinna. They have the perfect edgy mix of pony hair, beads, mixed patterns, and/or color that I’m looking for and that I know I won’t grow tired of too quickly. Excited for warm weather!
Saturday morning Borghese mud mask + coffee.
I’m pretty satisfied with my shower line-up. Here’s why:
- My hair is dry and tends to break easily but its hard to find a good shampoo & conditioner that will condition but not weigh down. However, I found one I love. Davies Mulu Shampoo & Conditioner does just that. Bonus—the scent is great.
- I’ve always been a Dove unscented bar soap girl — it’s gentle and doesn’t dry out my already dry skin but recently I switched and started using L’Occitane Shea Butter Extra Gentle Soap and—WOW! It’s five times more expensive than Dove but totally worth it.
- I’m a huge fan of exfoliation. I think I probably exfoliate more than anyone I know, seriously. Bliss Spa’s Soap’nScrub is pretty scrub-o-licious.
- Umm, Aveeno. Where have you been all my life? Serioulsy, the Clear Complection Foaming Face Wash is pretty great and inexpensive.
- Again, with exfoliation — obsessed. That being said, I may have tried hundreds of body exfoliators but I haven’t tried a ton of face exfoliators. I guess when you find something that works, you stick with it. I’ve been using Cliniques Exfoliating Scrub for over 10 years now. Get it. Love it. You’re welcome.
Banana Republic and Estee Lauder collaborated with AMC’s Mad Med series to define their 2013 spring collections. Banana Republic used Mad Men’s mod 1960’s fashion as inspiration for some of their new styles and Estee Lauder took a cue from the women’s on-screen beauty and launched a beautiful line of makeup products that are perfect for the spring season. Go ahead, Mod-it-up, ladies!
Just another example on how collaboration is the new competition.
Who knew Mason jars were the perfect accessory for your Valentine’s day? Cookies, hot cocoa for 2, and chic rustic vases all perfect gifts for Valentine’s Day. Grab some Mason jars and read about my DIY’s on TODAY. Everyone loves a handmade gift!
Seriously in love with all of these sneakers. I’m pretty hooked on Nike shoes from their Liberty collaborations to their running shoes and now even their weather proof boots are making my heart swoon — what’s up new snow shoes?As for these others, every girl should own a pair of perfect black high tops, no? Ok, maybe that’s just me. But when you live in such a walkable city like New York it’s easy to fall for comfort—and comfort doesn’t have to be the opposite of chic.
Maison Martin Margiela leather shoes / NIKE wedge heels / Elizabeth and James metallic shoes / Ash hidden wedge sneaker / Rachel Zoe high top shoes / Sandro High Top Sneakers